Hip and Knee
- Lacny S, Bohm E, Hawker G, Powell J, Marshall DA. Assessing the Comparability of Hip Arthroplasty Registries in Order to Improve the Recording and Monitoring of Outcomes. The Bone & Joint Journal 2016;98-B:442-51.
- Rusk A, Bush K, Brandt M, Smith C, Howatt A, Chow B., Henderson E. Improving Surveillance for Surgical Site Infections Following Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Using Diagnosis and Procedure Codes in a Provincial Surveillance Network. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology 2016; 37:699-703.
- Gooch K, Marshall DA, Faris PD, Khong H, Wasylak T, Pearce T, Johnston DWC, Arnett G, Hibbert J, Beaupre LA, Zernicke RF, Frank C. Comparative effectiveness of alternative clinical pathways for primary hip and knee joint replacement patients: a pragmatic randomized, controlled trial. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2012 Oct;20(10): 1086-94
- Marshall DA, Wasylak T, Khong H, Parker RD, Faris PD, Frank C. Measuring the value of total hip and knee arthroplasty: Considering costs over the continuum of care. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2012;470(4):1065-1072.
- Frank C, Marshall DA, Faris P, Smith C. Essay for the CIHR/CMAJ award: Improving access to hip and knee replacement and its quality by adopting a new model of care in Alberta. Canadian Institutes of Health Research and Canadian Medical Association Journal Top Achievements in Canadian Health Research Award. CMAJ 2011; 183(6):E347-50.
- Gooch K, Smith D, Wasylak T, Faris P, Marshall DA, Khong H, Hibbert J, Parker R, Zernicke R, Beaupre L, Pearce T, Johnston B, and Frank C. The Alberta hip and knee replacement project: A model for health technology assessment based on comparative effectiveness of clinical pathways. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2009;25(2):113-123.
- Marshall DA, Pericak D, Grootendorst P, Gooch K, Faris P, Frank C, Bellamy N, Torrance G, Feeny D. Validation of a prediction model to estimate Health Utilities Index Mark 3 utility scores from WOMAC index scores in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip. Value in Health 2008; May-Jun; 11(3):470-7.
- Alberta Bone and Joint Health Institute. Alberta Hip and Knee Replacement Pilot Project: Patient Results One Year Following Surgery. Report. March 2008.
- Alberta Bone and Joint Health Institute. Hip and Knee Replacement Pilot Project: Scientific Evaluation Report. June 2007.
- Grootendorst P, Marshall DA, Pericak D, Bellamy N, Feeny D, Torrance GW. A model to estimate Health Utilities Index Mark 3 utility scores from WOMAC index scores in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Journal of Rheumatology March 2007; 34(3):534-42.
- Fyie I, Frank C, Noseworthy T, Christiansen T, Marshall DA. Evaluating the primary-to-specialist referral system for elective hip and knee arthroplasty. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice September 2013; doi:10.1111/jep.12080.
- Marshall DA, Christiansen T, Smith C, Fyie K, Werle J, Squire-Howden J, Frank CB. Voluntary versus involuntary waiting for joint replacements: New Alberta wait times rules for hip and knee arthroplasties, with provincial consensus. Healthcare Quarterly 2012;15(3): 37-42.
- Marshall DA, Burgos-Liz L, IJzerman MJ, et al. Transforming Healthcare Delivery: Integrating Dynamic Simulation Modelling and Big Data in Health Economics and Outcomes Research. PharmacoEconomics, online, October 26, 2015.
- Marshall DA, Burgos-Liz L, IJzerman MJ, et al. Selecting a dynamic simulation modeling method for health care delivery research – Part 2: Report of the ISPOR Simulation Modeling Emerging Good Practices Task Force. Value Health 2015;18:147-160.
- Marshall DA, Burgos-Liz L, IJzerman MJ, et al. Applying dynamic simulation modeling methods in health care delivery research – The SIMULATE checklist: Report of the ISPOR Simulation Modeling Emerging Good Practices Task Force. Value Health 2015;18:5-16.
- Marshall DA, Vanderby A, Frank C, Enns E, Kulin N, Wasylak T, Mosher D, Noseworthy T, Rogers P, Maxwell C, Rohleder T, Pykerman K, Carter M. Simulation modeling with system dynamics (SD) to plan osteoarthritis care delivery in Alberta. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2013;21:S167-8.
- Marshall DA, Rogers P, Rohleder T, Vanderby S. System dynamics modeling: A decision support tool to improve care for hip & knee osteoarthritis. Institute of Health Economics, March 2010. ISBN Print 978-1-897443-66-8; ISBN Online 978-1-897443-67-5.
- Sharif B, Garner R, Hennessy D, Sanmartin C, Flanagan WM, Marshall DA. Productivity costs of work loss associated with osteoarthritis in Canada from 2010 to 2031. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2016 (in press), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2016.09.011.
- Barber CE, Marshall DA, Mosher DP, Akhavan P, Tucker L, Houghton K, Batthish M, Levy DM, Schmeling H, Ellsworth J, Tibollo H, Grant S, Khodyakov D, Lacaille D, The Arthritis Alliance of Canada Performance Measurement Development Panel. Development of System-level Performance Measures for Evaluation of Models of Care for Inflammatory Arthritis in Canada. The Journal of Rheumatology 2016; 43(3): 530-540.
- Sharif B, Garner R, Sanmartin C, Flanagan WM, Hennessy D, Marshall DA. Risk of work loss due to illness or disability in patients with osteoarthritis: a population-based cohort study. Rheumatology 2016; 55(5): 861-868.
- Barber CE, Patel JN, Woodhouse L, Smith C, Weiss S, Homik J, LeClercq S, Mosher D, Christiansen T, Squire Howden J, Wasylak T, Greenwood-Lee J, Emrick A, Suter E, Kathol B, Khodyakov D, Grant S, Campbell-Scherer D, Phillips L, Hendricks J, Marshall DA. Development of key performance indicators to evaluate centralized intake for patients with osteoarhtritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Research & Therapy 2015; 17:322.
- Marshall DA, Vanderby S, Barnabe C, MacDonald KV, Maxwell C, Mosher D, Wasylak T, Lix L, Enns E, Frank C, Noseworthy T. Estimating the burden of osteoarthritis to plan for the future. Arthritis Care & Research 2015 Oct;67(10): 1379-1386.
- Suter E, Birney A, Charland P, Misfeldt R, Weiss S, Howden JS, Hendricks J, Lupton T, Marshall D. Optimizing the Interprofessional Workforce for Centralized Intake of Patients with Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Disease: Case Study. Human Resources for Health 2015; 13(41): 1-12.
- Marlett N, Shklarov S, Marshall D, Santana MJ, Wasylak T. Building New Roles and Relationships in Research: A Model of Patient Engagement Research. Quality of Life Research 2014; 24(5): 1057-1067.
- Frankel L, Sanmartin C, Spady B, Marshall DA, Freedman-Collins L, Wall A, Hawker G. Osteoarthritis patients’ perceptions of “appropriateness” for total joint replacement surgery. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2012; 20(9): 967-73.
- Mosher D, Frank C, Weiss D, et al. Joint Action on Arthritis: A Framework to Improve Arthritis Prevention and Care in Canada. Arthritis Alliance of Canada, September 18, 2012.
- Marshall DA, Lopatina E, Lacny S, Emery CA. Economic Impact Study: Neuromuscular Training Reduces the Burden of Injuries and Costs Compared to Standard Warm-up in Youth Soccer. Br J Sports Med, 2016, 0:1-7
- Smith C, Christiansen T, Dick D, Squire Howden J, Wasylak T, Werle J. Performance management tools motivate change at the frontlines. Healthcare Management Forum, 2014, 27:15-19.
- Werle J, Dobbelsteyn L, Feasal AL, et al. A study of the effectiveness of performance-focused methodology for improved outcomes in Alberta public healthcare. Abstract. Quality Improvement Forum, February 2011.
- Werle J, Dobbelsteyn L, Feasal AL, Hancock B, Job B, Makar L, Manning H, Quigley S, Tepplar A, Smith C, Kelly S, Wasylak T. A study of the effectiveness of performance-focused methodology for improved outcomes in Alberta public healthcare. Healthcare Management Forum, 2010, 23:169-174.
- Conner-Spady B, Marshall DA, Bohm E, Dunbar MJ, Frank C, Hawker G, Noseworthy T. Eliciting patient views on choosing the next available surgeon to reduce waiting times for joint replacement surgery: on the need to consider individual patient preferences and information needs. International Journal of Person Centered Medicine 2011, 1(2):362-368.
- Marshall DA, Pykerman K, Werle J, Lorenzetti D, Wasylak T, Noseworthy T, Dick D, O’Connor G, Sundaram A, Heintzbergen S, Frank C. Hip resurfacing versus total hip arthroplasty: A systematic review comparing standardized outcomes. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2014 July; 472(7): 2217-2230.
- Smith J, Lee D, Bali K, Railton P, Kinniburgh D, Faris P, Marshall DA, Burkart B, Powell J. Does bearing size influence metal ion levels in large-head metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty? A comparison of three total hip systems. J Orthop Surg Res 2014 Jan 28;9(1):3.
- Heintzbergen S, Kulin NA, Ijzerman MJ, Khong H, Steuten L, Werle J, Marshall DA. Cost-utility of metal-on-metal hip resurfacing compared to conventional total hip replacement in young active patients with osteoarthritis. Value in Health 2013 Sep-Oct 16(6).
- Pei KL, Kinniburgh DW, Butlin L, Faris P, Marshall DA, Oliver MC, Parker R, Powell JN, Railton P, Smith J. An ORS-ICP-MS method for monitoring trace levels of cobalt and chromium in whole blood samples from hip arthroplasty patients with metal-on-metal prostheses. Clinical Biochemistry, 2012 July; 45(10-11): 806-810.
- MacKenzie JR, O’Connor GJ, Marshall DA, Faris PD, Dort LC, Khong H, Parker RD, Werle JR, Beaupre LA, Frank CB on behalf of the Alberta Hip Improvement Project (HIP) Advisory Committee and the Alberta Arthroplasty Research Group.Functional outcomes for 2 years comparing hip resurfacing and total hip arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty 2012, 27(5): 750-757.
- Oliver MC, Railton P, Faris P, Kinniburgh D, Parker R, Mackenzie J, Werle J, Powell J. A critical analysis of patients with elevated blood metal ions following hip resurfacing. Abstract. Canadian Orthopaedic Association annual meeting. July 2011.
- Lee D, Powell J, Burkart B, Smith J, Kinniburgh D, Faris P, Parker R, Marshall DA, Railton P. Ion levels in large head metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty: A comparison of three total hip systems. Abstract. Canadian Orthopaedic Association annual meeting. July 2011.
- Dick D, Frank C, Marshall D. Resurfacing as an alternative to total hip arthroplasty: Knowledge synthesis of the causes and rates of early failure. Abstract. Canadian orthopaedic Association annual meeting. July 2011.
- Alberta Bone and Joint Health Institute. Alberta Hip Improvement Project: Preliminary Report on Early Results of Metal-on-Metal Resurfacing for Treatment of Degenerative Hip Disease in Alberta. Report. November 1, 2010.
- MacKenzie JR, O’Connor GJ, Marshall DA, Faris PD, Dort LC, Khong H, Parker RD, Werle JR, Beaupre LA, Frank CB on behalf of the Alberta Hip Improvement Project (HIP) Advisory Committee and the Alberta Arthroplasty Research Group.Functional outcomes over 2 years comparing hip resurfacing and total hip replacement. The Alberta Hip Improvement Project. Abstract. Canadian Orthopaedic Association. June 2010.
- Alberta Bone and Joint Health Institute. Metal-on-Metal Hip Resurfacing for Young Active Adults with Degenerative Hip Disease. Report. November 1, 2006.