Now Hiring: Research Data Analyst (Edmonton)
Position: Research Data Analyst
Job Type: Full time
Hours of Work: 38.75 hours per week
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The Alberta Bone & Joint Health Institute is a highly respected not-for-profit organization whose strength is turning knowledge into better care for people with bone and joint health conditions. The Institute uses the best evidence available to develop innovative products and concepts that improve health care service delivery.
The Institute provides consulting services to help health care agencies and providers implement change, measure results, and improve the quality of care for Albertans suffering from bone and joint injuries and disorders. These services include designing and evaluating evidence-based continuums of care, brokering the relationships required to advance bone and joint health care, providing project management services, and supporting both change management and the implementation of continuums of care.
The Institute works closely with its valued partners, including the Bone and Joint Health Strategic Clinical Network, a provincial multidisciplinary group under Alberta Health Services responsible for improving population and public health for all Albertans in bone and joint health. The Bone and Joint Health Strategic Clinical Network is the primary sponsor of most of the Institute’s ongoing clinical design and quality improvement initiatives.
Reporting to the Director of Operations (Technical), the Research Data Analyst oversees and performs analyses of sensitive health data to meet the organization’s objectives. The incumbent will collaborate with a team of analysts in the following activities:
- Analysis for specific projects and/or research studies;
- Modeling scenarios and simulating possible alternative outcomes;
- Visualizing data and analyses for consumption by end users;
- Project and program evaluations; and
- Other analytic assignments as required.
The incumbent is a senior analytical professional that provides, as part of an analytics team, advanced statistical and methodological analytical expertise to address complex queries from research clients at all levels. The outputs developed by the analytic team support research, strategic planning, program and project planning and evaluation related to bone and joint health.
The incumbent will be an integral team member that works collaboratively with stakeholders (internal and external to the organization) to formulate analytic questions, design and execute statistical analysis using appropriate tools and methods, and advise on project and program evaluation initiatives as part of research collaborations. The incumbent will be located in Edmonton, but will have remote and video access to the analytic team at the Alberta Bone and Joint Health Institute through collaboration with the University of Alberta.
The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring the quality of deliverables from the analytic team, and will advise senior management on all matters relating to the analytic capabilities of the organization
Experience and knowledge should include:
- Post-secondary degree, preferably in biostatistics/medical research, or Mathematics, Statistics, Data Analytics, or related areas;
- 5+ years experience in health-related analytical work;
- Familiarity with analysis of the large health care data sets, including data set content, data manipulation and data linking;
- Experience with large data sets, ability to write SQL queries to extract, review, and understand data;
- Familiarity with using various basic and advanced analytical methods, such as basic and complex modeling and simulation (Monte Carlo, system dynamics, discrete event, etc.), linear and logistic regression, and ANOVA analysis;
- Creative thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with teams of people from diverse scientific and professional backgrounds.
- Above average interpersonal and communication skills;
- Familiarity with various statistical analysis software packages (R, SPSS, SAS).
The following would be an asset:
- Experience working with Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Analysis Services, SQL Server Reporting Services, and related tools;
- Experience building and/or working with data cubes;
- Statistical analysis using “R” software;
- Intermediate to expert level of familiarity with MS Excel; and
- Experience working with various dashboard and business intelligence software products (e.g. Tableau, Power BI, SSAS, TIBCO).