Location: NW Calgary
Job Type: Full Time; One Year Fixed-Term, with possibility of extension
Company Url: http://www.albertaboneandjoint.com
Posted: June 1, 2017
Email your resume: email@example.com
Nature of Work
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the primary responsibility of the Data Manager is to maintain the flow of health care data that ABJHI receives from various clinics, hospitals, and Alberta Health Services, into our SQL Server data repository, and to make it accessible to our analysts to use for various analytic and reporting tasks.
This involves maintaining the ELT processes, including migration from various sources (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, Microsoft Access, CSV), cleaning and linking data, designing and maintaining database architectures, supporting team members across the organization, and interacting with external data stakeholders. The incumbent will also be involved in building and maintaining reporting tools for our analysts and quality improvement managers, and designing our business intelligence platform.
Software used includes Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services, SQL Server Analysis Services, Microsoft Excel (connected to views in SQL Server), custom built ASP.NET websites, and may also involve acquisition and implementation of new reporting software as our reporting needs evolve (e.g. Microsoft Power BI, TIBCO, Tableau).
The incumbent requires excellent communication skills to facilitate cooperation with all of the partner organizations that supply data, and to ensure that the data is accessible to and usable by the analytics team.
Occasional travel within Alberta may be required.
- Very strong SQL query writing skills, preferably with Transact SQL (T-SQL)
- Experience developing database architecture for complex applications
- Five or more years of database administrator experience, including:
- Securing databases using role and application permissions
- Managing backups and disaster recovery strategies
- Maintaining the health of large production Microsoft SQL Server data repositories
- A solid understanding of SQL Server Reporting Services
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Experience building ELT processing using SQL Server Integration Services
- Experience with B2B data interchange and cross-platform data transformations
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, multi-stakeholder team environment under minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate with internal and external stakeholders and represent the organization’s data infrastructure needs professionally in a way that fosters confidence with partner organizations
The following would be an asset:
- Experience building and working with large data warehouses and/or data cubes
- Microsoft Access development
- Oracle PL/SQL
- Development of web applications on a LAMP stack
- Basic network administration
- Managing user accounts
- Managing Microsoft Exchange server
- Setting file/folder permissions
- VPN support
- IT support experience
- Software troubleshooting
- Printer troubleshooting
- Familiarity with health data, including administrative, clinical, and electronic medical records
- Experience working with highly sensitive data (e.g. health data, financial data) or working with data subject to stringent privacy legislation (e.g. HIA, HIPAA, Privacy Act, PIPEDA)
About The Organization
The Alberta Bone & Joint Health Institute is the umbrella organization for bone and joint health care, research and education throughout Alberta. A not-for-profit organization and registered charity, our work is supported by partnerships with universities, provincial health authorities, medical and health practitioners, researchers, educators, government and private donors.
Alberta Bone and Joint Health Institute is in the business of creating and advancing evidence-based continuums of bone and joint care in a way that garners the cooperation of the bone and joint community so that bone and joint health system change advances. The Institute’s activities include analyzing and designing evidence-based continuums of care, benchmarking, brokering the relationships required to advance bone and joint health care, providing project management services, and supporting both change management and the implementation of continuums of care.Share: